Reflections on Representation & Writing

Since the events surrounding Mr. George Floyd's death in Minneapolis, I haven't felt it appropriate to post or make any kind of video. This just isn't the time for me to speak. Rather this is a time to listen, to reflect, to learn, and to improve. Now that I've had some time, I wanted to share some of what I have observed.

First, I want to say how much I appreciate Darin Earl, for his words and guidance during this time. He has been writing throughout the week and I have learned a great deal from his posts. We connected briefly during the week and I look forward to the moment when the two of us can have a larger conversation about taking steps toward improving representation the fields of youth playwriting and new play development.

There was one post in particular that spoke to me. The post was written by a former student who attended a theatre program at a private university in New Jersey. In writing, the student said she was treated differently during her time in the program. It wasn't necessarily because she is black, but because she was also a young mother at the time. The post resonated with me because it emphasized a concerning issue that I have noticed within educational theatre - and truly ALL theatre - with the lack of substantive roles for actors of color. In the last five years of my time at the New Jersey Young Playwrights Festival, I took initiative to hire actors of color in any performance that was set to appear before a school audience. It was my thinking that with a goal to amplify student voices it was essential that the actors embodying those voices be as diverse as possible. It is clear from the former college student's post, as well as many other posts and videos published this week, that more work needs to be done in the area of representation. I would like to find a way to encourage this through the Young Playwrights Guide platform.

Second, I was thrilled to hear Arlan Hamilton on the most recent Chase Jarvis Live podcast (coincidentally published the same week as my conversation with Darin Earl). Ms. Hamilton is the founding and managing partner of Backstage Capital, an organization that she built to address a lack of funding to people of color, women, and LGBTQ entrepreneurs. Ms. Hamilton recently published a book titled It's About Damn Time and was on the show to talk about how "being underestimated is your greatest advantage". I've heard her speak before and was excited for this new conversation. It was thrilling to hear her reframe many of the things we talk about on the Guide in a new and powerful way. I knew immediately that I wanted to share it here.

We will be back on Friday with another Young Playwrights Conversation. In the meantime, keep writing!

Comments