Youth Voices are the Future of Theatre

Shout out to Michael Cerveris for his comments in a recent LA Times article that echo my thoughts on the future of theatre. Mr. Cerveris, along with 24 other theatre professionals, were asked to speculate on the future of the industry post-Covid. Here is what Mr. Cerveris said:

"And despite my daily grappling with despair, I do see in this dark, chaotic time reasons for great optimism. When the rules no longer apply, we can write new rules. Young people especially will have a great deal to say about our future, and I do hope they're taking time to imagine a better world and a better theater now - while they seem to have some time on their hands."

I obviously agree and have long advocated for the inclusion of youth voices in our professional theatres. It has been an incredible boost to my own morale to see so many new opportunities for young playwrights appear on the scene in recent weeks. They have joined other more established programs in shifting work to the virtual world in order to reach audiences. (There's something else we should see more of in the theatre's future).

Keep writing!

Comments