Be Better Than Yesterday

Self-help and success coaches will tell you that the goal for any aspect of life is to improve one day at a time (or something like that). Personally, I've found that to be a useful maxim. Professionally, it has been essential to think, reflect, and adjust as time marches forward. Continual practice leads to improvement, after all. So, as we surpass the seven year mark of the Young Playwrights Guide, I find myself evaluating its purpose and questioning the value to the field.

This site has changed twice already in its existence. First, it was a simple list of programming adapted from a previous resource published over 25 years ago by AATE. Then, it became a map that plotted each individual program in a visual way. Just last year (or so), I expanded the focus to a more international scope and changed the site name from the Young Playwrights Map to the Young Playwrights Guide. Now, I'm pondering the question: In what ways can I better serve young writers and their mentors? Is this site doing what I want it to do, or is it time again to adjust and reconfigure for the current day and near future?

To do this, I would like to get input from the followers of the YP Guide and its various social media streams. How have you used the site in the past? How can I support you in your work as a writer and/or as a writing coach, or teacher? For any of those followers who are outside the realm of playwriting, I would love to know what support you need for improvement in your spaces? What services, or resources, can I provide that will help you to create art as, or with, young people?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Comments