Searching Canada and Different Terminology

This morning I received a Google Alert announcing the selection of playwrights in the Coast Youth Playwriting Project produced by the Driftwood Players in Gibsons, British Columbia. The Map has only listed two other programs for young playwrights in Canada, but I have heard there are many more. A quick search also turned up the Scirocco Drama Manitoba High School Playwriting Competition run by the Manitoba Association of Playwrights in Winnipeg, the latter of which also has a 10 year anthology of plays! I love finding those and can't wait to check it out.

I know there are more programs in Canada, but am having some difficulty finding them. As I was researching program history for the dissertation, I often questioned whether the common term "young playwrights" exemplified programs beyond the influence of the national competition established by the Dramatists Guild in 1981. The popularity of that "young playwrights" program likely influenced the naming of subsequent programming in the United States, but even within those national boundaries there are other iterations of the term: the Marilyn Bianchi Kids' Playwriting Competition at Dobama Theatre in Cleveland (the oldest in the US) has the most unique term I have found to date.

What other terms might be in use? Are the writers always referred to as "young"? Are they always "playwrights"? There is more searching to do; I welcome your help with any suggestions.

Comments